Responding to a Building Evacuation
When you hear the fire alarm sound or receive a notification to evacuate:
- Leave the building and area immediately.
- If you’re able, use stairs to exit the building.
- Do not use the elevators.
- Proceed to a safe location, keeping clear of fire routes, hydrant areas and walkways used for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by the Fire Prevention Personnel or a person with authority.
If an emergency occurs that affects the elevators:
- Press the phone symbol (PH) emergency button on the elevator panel to connect with Campus Safety or call them at 416-978-2222.
- Do not force open the elevator door.
- Do not exit from the elevator if it is not at the floor level.
- If you or an individual has accessibility concerns impacted by an elevator outage, contact Campus Safety at 416-978-2222.
- This includes if the outage has resulted in you or another member of the community being stranded in a building.
- Campus Safety will dispatch emergency personnel to assist.
- Evacuation of a building or area may occur at the direction of Campus Safety or Emergency Services in the event of a significant threat such as a fire, a flood, a power outage, a bomb threat, a chemical release, or an active attacker.
- You may be notified of the need to evacuate by way of the fire alarm, or through other emergency notification systems, such as UTAlert.
- For more information on the emergency notification systems used at U of T, head to our Stay Connected section.
Other Guidelines and Tools
Shelter in Place
Emergency Meeting Points