Responding to a Fire or Fire Alarm
- Use a fire extinguisher only if you can do so safely.
- Pull the fire alarm and evacuate.
- Do not use the elevators.
- If you require assistance to evacuate, call Campus Safety at 416-978-2222.
- Keep clear of fire routes, hydrant areas and walkways used for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by emergency response personnel.
- Press the phone symbol (PH) emergency button on the elevator panel to connect with Campus Safety or call them at 416-978-2222.
- Do not force open the elevator door.
- Do not exit from the elevator if it is not at the floor level.
- If you or an individual has accessibility concerns impacted by an elevator outage, contact Campus Safety at 416-978-2222.
- This includes if the outage has resulted in you, or another member of the community being stranded in a building.
- Campus Safety will dispatch emergency personnel to assist.
- During any fire alarm it is mandatory for all impacted University buildings to be evacuated.
- Any fire alarm activation automatically notifies Campus Safety through electronic monitoring. 911 dispatch is notified immediately and provided with all required information. Campus Safety and U of T Fire Prevention are dispatched to the scene.
- If you discover a fire and call 911 instead of pulling an alarm, it doesn’t alert other occupants inside of the building and won’t inform U of T responders.
- Report all fires, no matter how small, to Campus Safety at 416-978-2222.
Other Incident Response Guides