Responding to a Gas Leak
- Immediately call Campus Safety at 416-978-2222.
- If you are using equipment with an open flame, turn off the flame.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical devices such as wall light switches, computers, or laboratory equipment that might produce a spark and trigger an explosion.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm to notify other building occupants of the need to evacuate.
- Notify Facilities and Services at 416-978-3000 when it is safe to do so.
- Though naturally odourless, mercaptan, an odorant that smells like rotten eggs is added to natural gas to make it possible for leaks to be identified.
- Report all suspected gas leaks as they have the potential to result in an explosion.
Other Incident Response Guides