Responding to a Tornado or Extreme Wind Event
- Remain indoors and go into a basement or a small, interior ground-floor room.
- Stay away from windows and doors. Do not use elevators.
- Do not try to outrun a tornado in a vehicle.
- If you are outdoors and cannot get into a building safely, cover your head and neck with your arms.
After a Tornado or Extreme Wind Event
- Stay clear of fallen power lines.
- Do not enter damaged buildings.
- Restock any of the supplies consumed from your emergency kit.
- Check weather forecasts regularly.
- Students living in residence may want to consider that food services operations on campus may be impacted by extreme weather events.
- Assemble an emergency kit with non-perishable food, drinking water and other supplies.
In the event of an extreme wind scenario, be sure to check the status of your campus in case U of T operations are affected:
Other Incident Response Guides